The Problem with Ugly Covers


People say you shouldn't judge a book by its' cover but let's face it, we do it ALL. THE. TIME. Whether we're standing in an aisle at Barnes & Noble, or perusing our friends' updates on Goodreads, the covers of books heavily determine what piques our interest, or what we choose to completely overlook. This is making me sad today because a series that I'm reading, The Sense Thieves Trilogy by Corrine Jackson, is so amazingly good, but it doesn't seem like that many people are reading it or have even HEARD of it. And the reason I say this is because the second and third book of the trilogy each only have under 800 ratings on Goodreads which we all know is low for that site. The first book though has around 3,400 ratings, a much more respectable number. I'm about to tell you my theory on why...

Here is a picture of the covers of the second book, Pushed, and the third book, Ignited:


Okay... these aren't the WORST covers in the world but let's face it, they're darn sure not the best looking either. Someone on Goodreads described them as "cheap looking" and I think that's a great description. I also just don't think the covers fit the series at all. I get absolutely no feeling from these that this series is going to be something spectacular and had I not read the first book previously, I would totally overlook these and never would have been introduced to the amazing world that Corrine Jackson created. In my opinion, whoever designed these covers needs to get a new job, stat. Seriously, ewwww. 

The first book, Touched, had a better cover but clearly the publishers decided to go in a different direction with the second and third books in terms of design... it's a shame cause the direction they went was not a positive one. Here's a pic of the first book:


Still not my favorite cover of all time, but WAY better than the ones that follow it. I'd have picked this up and checked it out if I saw it. In fact, seeing it on an ARC tour site led me to read the description and subsequently sign up for the tour. So happy I did cause this series is awesomesauce. I just started the third and final book in the trilogy, Ignited, and I'm so excited to see where things go. I'm not typically a "ship-jumper" when it comes to love triangles, but the second book had me totally falling in love with the other guy which REALLY surprised me. I don't know if I'm alone in that feeling or not but I'm really hoping to see the protagonist choose the dude I want to see her with. 

Anywho... please check this series out if you haven't. Ignore the fugly covers and judge these based on the descriptions. Seriously, this series is GREAT. For information on Touched, the first book, click here. And trust me, this series gets better and better, even if I want to go old school and put a paper bag book cover over them *grin*. Happy Reading!

No comments:

 
Imagination Designs