*REVIEW* Let the Sky Fall


Synopsis:

Seventeen-year-old Vane Weston has no idea how he survived the category five tornado that killed his parents. And he has no idea if the beautiful, dark-haired girl who’s swept through his dreams every night since the storm is real. But he hopes she is.

Seventeen-year-old Audra is a sylph, an air elemental. She walks on the wind, can translate its alluring songs, and can even coax it into a weapon with a simple string of commands. She’s also a guardian—Vane’s guardian—and has sworn an oath to protect Vane at all costs. Even if it means sacrificing her own life.

When a hasty mistake reveals their location to the enemy who murdered both of their families, Audra’s forced to help Vane remember who he is. He has a power to claim—the secret language of the West Wind, which only he can understand. But unlocking his heritage will also unlock the memory Audra needs him to forget. And their greatest danger is not the warriors coming to destroy them—but the forbidden romance that’s grown between them.

This book was a total surprise for me! I had signed up to read an ARC through Around the World Tours and while I was excited to read it, it wasn't one of the ones I was dying to get my hands on. What a pleasant surprise to find that I couldn't put this book down. It totally blew me away... pun intended! :)

Let the Sky Fall introduces us to Vane, a teenage boy who survived a scary tornado that killed his parents. He can't remember anything about his past and childhood except one person--a beautiful, dark-haired girl who has shown up in his dreams since that fateful storm. And the strangest part? She grows up with him in these dreams, changing from a young girl to a stunning teenage beauty. Vane has never been sure if she's real or not until an encounter with her in person removes all doubt...

Turns out the girl is Audra, a Guardian sent to protect Vane from the Stormers who killed both of their families. Vane is the last Westerly and he is shocked to learn that the fate of his world rests on his shoulders. As him and Audra begin a massive race against time, training and hoping that Vane reconnects with his heritage, Vane begins to remember the past, and the thing that Audra hoped he would never remember.

Will Vane and Audra be able to face the Stormers, or will Audra be forced to make the ultimate sacrifice? Will the two be able to ignore their undeniable attraction for each other or will they form a bond that can never be broken? Let the Sky Fall is one wild ride that will leave readers begging for more.

I loved this book!! It's got something for EVERYONE... it's got romance, passion, action, heartbreak, pain, betrayal, and super cool supernatural powers. Windwalkers? Awesome! I've never read a book about sylphs before so this was all new for me. I also really enjoyed the writing in this book. Shannon Messenger is a really great storyteller and I enjoyed the switch of POV between Vane and Audra throughout the book.

I think the other thing I REALLY liked about this book was that it's different than a lot of the YA books that have been out there the past few years. Seemed for awhile, a pattern had been going on where you could take a supernatural being, most likely a vampire or a werewolf, add in a love triangle and some danger and VOILA! YA Gold. I've been so pleased recently by the shift in the books I've been reading. While many still have a supernatural element, they've been fresh and unique and how fabulous that Let the Sky Fall didn't have a love triangle!! I'm sure the potential exists for some complications in future books but this one thankfully stayed away from that overused element.

I give this one 5 of 5 stars. It's exciting, engaging, fresh, romantic, and I love the characters. And the concept of sylphs is just so cool. How awesome would it be to control the wind?! I highly, highly, highly recommend this book to EVERYONE. Make sure to add it to your TBR pile. It's set to release in March 2013 which is way too far away in my opinion! But this book is WELL worth the wait. Enjoy! *XOXO*

Expected publication date: March 5, 2013 by Simon Pulse

No comments:

 
Imagination Designs