*REVIEW* The Heir by Kiera Cass

Synopsis:

Princess Eadlyn has grown up hearing endless stories about how her mother and father met. Twenty years ago, America Singer entered the Selection and won the heart of Prince Maxon—and they lived happily ever after. Eadlyn has always found their fairy-tale story romantic, but she has no interest in trying to repeat it. If it were up to her, she'd put off marriage for as long as possible.

But a princess's life is never entirely her own, and Eadlyn can't escape her very own Selection—no matter how fervently she protests.

Eadlyn doesn't expect her story to end in romance. But as the competition begins, one entry may just capture Eadlyn's heart, showing her all the possibilities that lie in front of her . . . and proving that finding her own happily ever after isn't as impossible as she's always thought.


I SO wanted to love this book... I went into it with super high expectations because I truly adore The Selection Series. Unfortunately, this book didn't quite meet my expectations and left me feeling rather conflicted. On one hand, I flew through this book as quickly as I did the others and that usually is a good sign... but the real kicker for me is Eadlyn. 


What can I say about Eadlyn? I find her absolutely insufferable. She's snotty, selfish, arrogant, cruel at times, and frankly oblivious over things that seem so obvious to the reader. For about the first two-thirds of the book, I wanted to throat punch her every other time she opened her mouth. And if you think just dealing with her spoken words is annoying, HA! Her inner thoughts and dialogue make her just as repulsive. 


That being said... there were a few times towards the end where I might have seen the smallest glimmer of hope for her redemption. I'm truly hoping that Kiera Cass WANTED it to play out that way for readers... building up just the right amount of hate tempered with the tiniest little bit of hope that will keep us hooked and reading the next installment of this story. 


All in all, if you're a fan, I'd still recommend this book. Just keep in mind that you might feel some anger and annoyance as you're reading it. I have high hopes that Kiera Cass will redeem not only Eadlyn but the story as a whole with the sequel. Because right now? This book just seems to be an attempt to cash in on a popular series, not necessarily make the series bigger and better. 



                                 

No comments:

 
Imagination Designs