*REVIEW* Burned

Synopsis:

When friends stop trusting each other, Darkness is there to fan the flames….

Things have turned black at the House of Night. Zoey Redbird’s soul has shattered. With everything she’s ever stood for falling apart, and a broken heart making her want to stay in the Otherworld forever, Zoey’s fading fast. It’s seeming more and more doubtful that she will be able pull herself back together in time to rejoin her friends and set the world to rights. As the only living person who can reach her, Stark must find a way to get to her. But how? He will have to die to do so, the Vampyre High Council stipulates. And then Zoey will give up for sure. There are only 7 days left…

Enter BFF Stevie Rae. She wants to help Z but she has massive problems of her own. The rogue Red Fledglings are acting up, and this time not even Stevie Rae can protect them from the consequences. Her kinda boyfriend, Dallas, is sweet but too nosy for his own good. The truth is, Stevie Rae’s hiding a secret that might be the key to getting Zoey home but also threatens to explode her whole world.

In the middle of the whole mess is Aphrodite: ex-Fledgling, trust-fund baby, total hag from Hell (and proud of it). She’s always been blessed (if you could call it that) with visions that can reveal the future, but now it seems Nyx has decided to speak through her with the goddess’s own voice, whether she wants it or not. Aphrodite’s loyalty can swing a lot of different ways, but right now Zoey’s fate hangs in the balance.

Three girls… playing with fire… if they don’t watch out, everyone will get Burned.

I absolutely adored this book! I don't think I had realized how much I had been missing the House of Night Series until I started reading it. This latest installment contains the same elements that make the other House of Night books so good: Drama, intrigue, loyalty, friendship, sacrifice, and love. You will definitely find yourself unable to put this book down!

The book picks up where the events of Tempted left us off. Zoey's soul has been shattered and she is trapped in the Otherworld, while Stevie Rae has imprinted with Rephaim, the big baddie of the Raven Mockers. The story switches between several POV's, giving us a broader picture of all that is going on in the House of Night world.

The amazing things about this book: The romance. Stark is swoon-worthy, risking everything to travel to the Otherworld to save Zoey. Heath performs an act of bravery, doing something extremely difficult, but necessary, to save not only Zoey, but the entire world. And then there's Rephaim. Watching him and Stevie Rae figure out their bond and feelings for one another is one of the true gems of this book. You find yourself falling for Rephaim and wanting to see only the good that is inside of him.

More goods: The friendships. They stay true and loyal in this book as we watch Aphrodite, Damien, and the rest spend countless hours researching how to help Zoey, and we see that Stevie Rae has a loyal group of red fledglings. The action. This book has got some SERIOUS action going on. You'll find yourself torn... what's going on across the world? What's going on in Tulsa? Each time the story switches back and forth between locations, you'll want to scream in a good way. The intrigue. Who is good? Who is bad? Who has the potential for both? What will happen when Stevie Rae's secrets are revealed? Soooo many questions, you'll be dying for more at the end of this book.

While I obviously loved this book, rarely is a book perfect. The dialogue still bothers me quite a bit. I found myself CRINGING each time Kramisha was speaking. And some of the things Stevie Rae said? Ick. I get that the authors are really trying to let us see the individual characters' voices and that they're trying to "speak teen"... but I work in a high school, and not all teens speak like that! I actually found myself really missing Zoey because at least I'm used to her "voice". She doesn't feature as prominently in this book and I'm hoping that will change for the next one.

Overall? Highly recommend this book! I think this series is getting better and better and that's impressive once you have reached book seven. I found this to be a super entertaining read that I couldn't stand to put down for a minute. If you're a HoN fan, scoop this one up today! Happy Reading! *XOXO*

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I NEED to get this book! I promised myself I would not buy anymore books for a while, but I don't think I can last for much longer.

You have an award on my blog here.

Alia said...

KAREN!!!!!

Your review has left me raving to get this book. *hurumph* I made a deal with my parents that I could buy two short books or one Loooonnnggg book for my Band trip down to Victoria and now I have a dilemma. >__< I can't decide what books to get! All because of you and your reviews. =P

And also thanks for letting me know Stark's still majorly swoon-wrothy!
And Also thanks for pointing out not all teens talk like the ones in the book do. I can comment that we don't, 'cause we all know I am one!

Love you Dear!
*huggles*
All from Alia (sorry it's so long)

Karen said...

@Elizabeth: Thank you sooo much, babe! I'm so excited!!!

@Alia: Thanks, love! Hehe. Which books are you choosing between?

Alia said...

@Karen A Stephen King book b/c I've read the first few pages and have decided I shall enjoy it...and b/c it's long...
and I was also going to decide between buying Radiant Shadows (Need the Published version) and Shiver and The Awakening and Fallen, Rampant, and The Hollow...I forgot about Burned...and Now you reminded me making it all the harder

 
Imagination Designs