*REVIEW* Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Vol. 1: The Long Way Home


Synopsis:

Since the destruction of the Hellmouth, the Slayers - newly legion - have gotten organized and are kicking some serious undead butt. But not everything's fun and firearms, as an old enemy reappears and Dawn experiences some serious growing pains. Meanwhile, one of the "Buffy" decoy slayers is going through major pain of her own.

Buffy creator Joss Whedon brings Buffy back to Dark Horse in this direct follow-up to season seven of the smash-hit TV series. The bestselling and critically acclaimed issues #1-5 are collected here for the first time, as are their covers by Jo Chen and Georges Jeanty.

I have to admit that I'm not the HUGEST comic book fan. While I do enjoy some of them, especially some of the Marvel comics about my favorites (Iron Man and Thor), I just can't seem to get fully on the bandwagon. And it would be easy to assume this could be in part because I'm a chick and comics seem to be more favored by the male species, but I know several girls who quite enjoy comics so I'm not sure it's as simple as that. But more on that later, let's talk about BUFFY!

The Long Way Home picks up where the hit TV show left us, with tons of slayers joining the mix. No longer is Buffy THE slayer, she's more like the head slayer, the teacher, the Commander. Buffy and Co. have been working tirelessly, continuing to protect the world from evil. However, the government feels that Buffy and her crew are a major threat to the human race and plot to kill her. Joining the government is Amy and Warren, who has some serious revenge plans for Willow. And Dawn? Let's say she's got some supersized problems of her own!

While I really enjoyed getting back into the world of Buffy (cause let's face it, that show was awesomesauce!) I have to admit that I thought I would love this more than I did. While the artwork was great for the majority of the characters, I was left a little puzzled by how little Buffy resembled Sarah Michelle Gellar. The other characters looked MUCH more like the TV versions, so that was a little surprising and frankly, it pulled me out of the story because I couldn't help thinking, "wow, that so doesn't look like Buffy" at key moments. I'm hoping the next volume will be a little different in that regard.

I think the other thing that disappointed me is probably my own fault, and that was my confusion level. It's been a VERY long time since I've seen the last season of Buffy and I kind of felt like I was thrown into a movie at the midway point. I was LOST. But things have come back, with the help of Wikipedia, and I'm looking forward to picking up the next volume. Because the one AMAZING thing was that Joss Whedon's voice is THERE. The wit, the humor, the banter that made the show oh-so-enjoyable is completely present in the book. If you're a Buffy fan, you owe it to yourself to see what happens next. Enjoy! *XOXO*

No comments:

 
Imagination Designs