*REVIEW* Fifty Shades Darker


Synopsis:

Daunted by the singular sexual tastes and dark secrets of the beautiful, tormented young entrepreneur Christian Grey, Anastasia Steele has broken off their relationship to start a new career with a Seattle publishing house. But desire for Christian still dominates her every waking thought, and when he proposes a new arrangement, Anastasia cannot resist. They rekindle their searing sensual affair, and Anastasia learns more about the harrowing past of her damaged, driven, and demanding Fifty Shades. While Christian wrestles with his inner demons, Anastasia must confront her anger and envy of the women who came before her and make the most important decision of her life. Erotic, sparkling and suspenseful, Fifty Shades Darker is the irresistibly addictive second part of the Fifty Shades trilogy.

Hmmm. Not quite sure where to start about this one! Fifty Shades Darker is the second book in the insanely popular Fifty Shades trilogy and I say "insanely popular" because I'm not quite sure how it gained so much fame! There are so many things wrong about these books but for some reason, women seem to be inhaling them and loving every minute. I was hoping to start feeling some of that magic myself in the second installment, but unfortunately it too fell flat for me.

Some reasons this book just didn't do it for me: The repetitiveness. I am so over hearing about Ana's inner Goddess and what she's doing and also her snarky subconscious. Um, really. Do we need an update on those two entities over and over and over and over... you get the point. And let's not even go there with Ana's constant insecurities. And I'm tired of hearing about her not eating. This is relevant how? She does mention at one point that she likes being this slim *eyeroll*. I found her beyond obnoxious at some points in this book.

Something else super annoying: The CONSTANT fighting between Christian and Ana. They have sex, they fight, they have sex, they fight, repeat over and over and over and you've got the gist of this book. They're oh so in love with each other after barely knowing each other and all I can think is it must be lust because ALL they seem to do is have sex and fight.

I still have some issues with the writing, mainly due to the same repetitive words and phrases being used WAYYYY too freakin' much. If Christian is called mercurial one more time, I may chuck the book against a wall. Another thing? I really think the author pulled the old, "high school student writing a research paper" thing and pulled out a thesaurus sometimes to try to make her writing seem more sophisticated. She used some big and unnecessary words at times. Your book? Not a literary masterpiece. Feel free to stick to your normal vocabulary.

*sigh* Now I'M being snarky. You may ask WHY in the world I continue to read these when I find so much fault with them and there's two answers to that question. For one, I had purchased all three e-books and I hate not reading something I've paid for. The second reason? I hate leaving things undone. That includes reading a series. And I will admit... for the FIRST time, I had an emotional reaction when reading this book. There's a scene late in the book that had me tearing up a bit. I've been a bit emotional the past couple days (fellow ladies can gather why, haha) so I'm sure that contributed but at least I had a reaction to this series other than disgust.

SUPER happy this series is only a trilogy. It definitely seems as if the author is trying to add additional layers into the story. There's some drama going on other than Christian and Ana's childish bickering. That being said, I'm still thrilled this story is almost over. One book to go! *cheers*

No comments:

 
Imagination Designs