*REVIEW* Fifty Shades of Grey


Synopsis:

When literature student Anastasia Steele goes to interview young entrepreneur Christian Grey, she encounters a man who is beautiful, brilliant, and intimidating. The unworldly, innocent Ana is startled to realize she wants this man and, despite his enigmatic reserve, finds she is desperate to get close to him. Unable to resist Ana’s quiet beauty, wit, and independent spirit, Grey admits he wants her, too—but on his own terms.

Shocked yet thrilled by Grey’s singular erotic tastes, Ana hesitates. For all the trappings of success—his multinational businesses, his vast wealth, his loving family—Grey is a man tormented by demons and consumed by the need to control. When the couple embarks on a daring, passionately physical affair, Ana discovers Christian Grey’s secrets and explores her own dark desires.

Erotic, amusing, and deeply moving, the Fifty Shades Trilogy is a tale that will obsess you, possess you, and stay with you forever.

I honestly debated for quite some time about whether or not to write a review of this book. Fifty Shades of Grey seems to be an obsession for so many women and I decided I just HAD to see what all the fuss was about. In the end, I was left majorly disappointed and a little peeved that I bought all three books. I definitely should have read the first one before making that commitment!

So why did this book disappoint me so much? I think that a major reason for this is that I just don't feel the connection to Christian Grey that so many readers seem to feel. And that's really SHOCKING for those who know me and the way books usually resonate! I just don't get his appeal. At all. And I'm usually all about the bad boy so it's really surprising to me! Yeah, he's supposedly really good looking and has more money than any person could possibly need, but he's SERIOUSLY messed up. Deal breaker!

And then there's the writing... *shudder*. This book is no literary masterpiece and I'm a pretty forgiving reader. I mean, I enjoyed the Twilight books! But seriously, the writing is repetitive with the same phrases being repeated over and over and over and the writing just hasn't hooked me in to an emotional connection with the characters. I want to LOVE the characters but haven't been given enough to get there.

There ARE some seriously steamy passages that are hot, I will give the book that. But I guess BDSM just doesn't do it for me because some of the passages had me rolling my eyes and cringing. But hey, to each their own. Some people LOVE these books and good for them. I plan on finishing the series because I already paid for it and that just irks me enough to ensure I see it through to the end. But I can already guarantee these books are going on the "never-to-be-read-again" list. You be the judge! And as always, HAPPY READING! *XOXO*

2 comments:

Julie@My5monkeys said...

I have yet to read this book, and thanks for the honest review

Karen said...

My hubby is convinced I'm so critical because it was so hyped... who knows! Enjoy if you decide to read it! :)

 
Imagination Designs