*REVIEW* Frozen Fire


Synopsis:

A paranormal thriller from Carnegie Medal winner Tim Bowler!

It starts with a phone call. I’m dying, a voice tells Dusty. Who is he and how has he gotten her cell number? Dusty wants no part of this strange boy . . . until he begins saying things that only someone who knows her intimately could say, things that lead her to think he knows the whereabouts of her brother, who disappeared over a year ago. Suddenly drawn in, Dusty very much wants to save this boy. Trouble is, she cannot find him. Part human, part spirit, he won’t let himself be found. He is too dangerous, he says. There are mobs of people who agree and who want to see this boy dead . . . and who will hurt anyone who stands in their way.

A gripping, hair-raising mystery about a boy not of this world, and a girl determined to protect him.


Well... I really wouldn’t call this a hair-raising mystery. Unless you’re like me, and you get to the end and you’re still not entirely sure what the heck all happened and what the point of the whole thing was. I think the premise of this book had potential, but it really fell way short of my expectations.

The story follows Dusty, a spunky teenager struggling with the disappearance of her brother two years ago. She receives a strange and spooky phone call from a mysterious boy, and finds herself thrust into a dangerous world of thugs, secrets, supernatural happenings, and just plain weirdness. The pacing is slow, the dialogue is boring at times, and the action is very spread out. I think the book is supposed to feel suspenseful, but all I felt was a desire for it to end.

I can’t really recommend this one as I was so disappointed with it the entire time I was reading it. I had grabbed this one off a shelf at Barnes and Noble, the cover appealed to me and it sounded like an interesting read. Really wishing I had researched it a bit before snapping it up. I can say though that although it felt like one of the slowest books, it didn’t take all that long to read. So if you’re still intrigued and would rather trust your own opinion on the book, it won’t take you longer than a couple days to get through it.

Best of luck! Hope you like it better than I did! *XOXO*

No comments:

 
Imagination Designs