*REVIEW* Spellcaster



Synopsis:

When Nadia’s family moves to Captive’s Sound, she instantly realizes there’s more to it than meets the eye. Descended from witches, Nadia senses a dark and powerful magic at work in her new town. Mateo has lived in Captive’s Sound his entire life, trying to dodge the local legend that his family is cursed - and that curse will cause him to believe he’s seeing the future... until it drives him mad. When the strange dreams Mateo has been having of rescuing a beautiful girl—Nadia—from a car accident come true, he knows he’s doomed.

Despite the forces pulling them apart, Nadia and Mateo must work together to break the chains of his family’s terrible curse, and to prevent a disaster that threatens the lives of everyone around them.

I was super excited to get my hands on Spellcaster because in addition to a very interesting synopsis, I am quite a fan of Claudia Gray. I really enjoyed the Evernight series (even though the last book was a disappointment but that's a WHOLE different issue) so I was excited to see what Claudia Gray had in store for readers with this new series. And witches? YAY! I love books about magic so I was super stoked to give it a go. Before I get to my thoughts, how about a quick summary?

Spellcaster introduces us to Nadia, a teenage witch who has recently been dumped by her mother. Magic is passed down in families through the women and Nadia's mother left the family before she could complete Nadia's training, leaving Nadia feeling like much less of a witch than she was destined to be. Nadia is hopeful that moving to a new town with her father and brother will be the new start they all so desperately need. Unfortunately, Captive's Sound turns out not to be the blessing she had hoped, but rather a town that is smothering underneath evil, dark magic.

Nadia befriends Mateo and Verlaine, two fellow students who have also been touched, or affected, by magic. Together, they discover the truth behind the horrors facing the town. Will they be able to stop their adversary in time, or is the magic Nadia possesses just not enough? And will Nadia be able to help Mateo escape the curse that has plagued his family for generations? Powers of good and evil collide in this magical tale by Claudia Gray.

Okaaaaaaay... I had really high hopes for this one but I'm sad to say it fell a little flat for me. I DID like it, and rated it 3 of 5 stars on Goodreads, but that was about it: just like. There was no awe, no love, no "OMG, this book is amazing!" going on. It was a good and engaging read but that's it. I think the storyline has definite potential but I didn't really enjoy the POV, nor the number of them, and it felt a little predictable at times. That being said, I will be tuning in to the next book to see what happens next.

For fans of Claudia Gray, I especially recommend this series to you. It is NOT as good as Evernight though so please go into it well aware of that fact. I'm really hoping that the next book becomes something I REALLY like, or even love. We'll see! If you're interested in Spellcaster, good news! It releases next Tuesday. Enjoy! *XOXO*

Expected publication date: March 5, 2013 by HarperTeen

No comments:

 
Imagination Designs