*REVIEW* Survive

Synopsis:

Hatchet meets Lost in this modern-day adventure tale of one girl's reawakening.

Jane is on a plane on her way home to Montclair, New Jersey, from a mental hospital. She is about to kill herself. Just before she can swallow a lethal dose of pills, the plane hits turbulence and everything goes black. Jane wakes up amidst piles of wreckage and charred bodies on a snowy mountaintop. There is only one other survivor: a boy named Paul, who inspires Jane to want to fight for her life for the first time.

Jane and Paul scale icy slopes and huddle together for warmth at night, forging an intense emotional bond. But the wilderness is a vast and lethal force, and only one of them will survive.

Survive was an interesting book. While I can't say that I LOVED it, it was enjoyable in it's own way. It's a super quick read, it's fast-paced, and the whole element of imminent danger and death lurking around every corner (or up every slope!) will definitely keep you flipping the pages.

Survive introduces us to Jane, a girl who has been struggling with her mental health for many years. Depression and suicidal thoughts run rampant in her family, and Jane's father committing suicide on Christmas Eve has haunted Jane for way too long. So long in fact that Jane is now ready to take her own life to end the pain. She's got her plan formulated and is ready to take the plunge on a plane ride home. She never could have predicted she'd be taking a plunge so very different from the one in her plan.

Right as Jane is about to swallow a lethal dose of pills in the airplane's bathroom, she is tossed around like a ragdoll and wakes up colder than she ever thought possible. The plane has crashed in a snowy mountainous terrain and she and Paul, an annoying male passenger, are the only survivors. Jane and Paul begin an epic fight for their lives, a fight that has Jane unexpectedly wanting to live, fighting to live, and falling in love.

I kind of thought I may like this one a bit more than I did, but it didn't quite grip me in the way I imagined it would. I did end up tearing up a bit at the end and I was actually a little surprised to experience that emotion... so the book may have touched me more than I initially thought. It's definitely worth a read so scoop it up when it releases in August. Happy Reading! *XOXO*

Expected publication date: August 2, 2012 by Razorbill

*thanks to Around the World Tours*

2 comments:

Sandy said...

This is on my TBR, I love survivor-horror books and am really hoping this one does not dissppoint ^_^.

Valia Lind said...

I just finished this, and I wasn't happy with it either. I personally don't think it lives up to the whole Hatchet aspect, but I did cry at the end. I think its cuz of...yes....lol

 
Imagination Designs